Tuesday, September 4, 2012


My daughter Libby (5 yrs old) and I were driving home from school on Thursday. She said to me, “Mom, how many weeks do I have left in school? Is it 2 or 3?”


I told her, “You have 2 weeks left”.

Libby said, “No mom, I am pretty sure it’s 3 weeks”

I said again, “Actually, it is only 2 weeks”

Libby said, “Mom, lets have a contest to see who is right. We can look at the calendar at home and see. If I...am right then I get 2 popsicles. If I am wrong then I get 1 popsicle. If you are wrong then you have to clean the entire house.”

I said, “Uhhhh, what do I get if I am right?”

Libby said, “ I already told you the rules of the contest. If I am right then I get 2 popsicles. If I am wrong then I get 1 popsicle. If you are wrong then you have to clean the ENTIRE house.”

I said, “You don’t think that sounds like mommy is getting the short end of the stick on this bet?”

Libby said, “No”

So, we went home and checked the calendar and guess what? Mommy was right. There was 2 weeks left of school.

I looked at Libby and said, “Well, it looks like I’m right. I should get something”.

Libby said, “Mom, at least you didn’t lose. You should feel happy you don’t have to clean the ENTIRE house.” Then she went on to remind me I owed her 1 popsicle because she had lost the bet.


I have learned to never underestimate the power of a 5 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment